Monday, January 10, 2011

Tuesday's Tip - iGoogle Homepage

About a week ago I attended Legacy's Webinar on "Google for Genealogists" presented by Thomas MacEntee and I've got to say it was probably the BEST Webinar I've been to.  There is so much you can do with Google!  If you'd like to buy a copy of the Webinar you can find the link to the Legacy store to preorder it from the Geneablogger homepage.  You will NOT be disappointed.

But that's not what today's tip is about.  A couple days after the Webinar (when my children gave me some time to breathe), I jumped onto my iGoogle homepage for my HaveYouSeenMyRoots Gmail account and decided to give it a proper set up. I found lots of neat gadgets to place on my iGoogle page that were genealogy related as well as Google gadgets for different aspects of Google that Thomas talked about in his Webinar.

The image is of how my iGoogle homepage is set up right now.  It'll change and that's OK.  What I like is that it's nice to have one page to go to with most of the tools I like to use...plus you've got the awesome Google search engine at the top.  You can even access your Gmail and Google Reader right there with nice preview panes!

I'm going to try to do my best to make the most out of Google in my research.  I know I've only scratched the surface, but it's time to dig.  Set up your iGoogle homepage today and bring your tools to one page!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Cheryl,

    I have awarded your blog the Ancestor Approved award (which Jo from Images Past awarded to me). You can read about the award in this post http://thesearchforanneandmichael.blogspot.com/2011/01/tuesdays-tip-ancestor-approved-10.html, and you can also copy the official Ancestor Approved graphic.

    Cheers!
    Jennifer

    'On a flesh and bone foundation': An Irish History

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on what a great webinar it was. Thanks for sharing your igoogle page. I have been setting mine up too. I may borrow a couple of your ideas for it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jennifer - Thank you very much! I need to stop by and check it out!

    @Brenda - One of the problems I've noticed (and I'm sure you probably have as well) is that some gadgets just mysteriously stop working/aren't updated. Lots of the genealogy ones don't work as well as I'd like, but since someone actually took the time to develop them, I'm assuming they like feedback to improve them too!

    ReplyDelete