Sunday, May 1, 2011

Military Monday - Addendum

It is perhaps fitting that shortly after posting my "Military Monday" tribute I received a text message from a dear friend telling me to turn on the news because Osama bin Laden was killed in an operation ordered by President Obama and carried out by our brave U.S. Special Forces.  

It is perhaps not appropriate to hold the death of someone, of anyone, in such a joyful light, but after almost 10 years of world-wide sorrow and pain caused by a truly evil person it is certainly a natural reaction.  

My 5 year old son, Daniel, emerged from his peaceful sleep to ask for a glass of water as I began typing this.  I could not help but hold him a little tighter knowing that the world is a better place tonight for us all and I teared up like the squishy, emotional momma that I am.

I have seen comments posted on Facebook and around news sites politicising and or insulting our President for this, and all I can say is shame on everyone that says such things!  Regardless of who is in office and whether you support him or not, our nation had a tremendous night in the war on terror.  A night that we will be able to tell our children and grandchildren about.  A moment that we will most likely remember for the rest of our lives.  Why fill it with such hatred?  Such animosity?  Instead, just say, 

"To all of the people who lost their lives on September 11, 2001 and to all of our servicemen and women who lost their lives to bring to justice the mastermind behind their murders, I pay you homage.  We will never forget."

God bless our wonderful nation this night and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment