Monday, April 16, 2012

Amanuensis Monday - Figuring Out Where She Belongs...

I had started this transcription quite some time ago, and I don't really know why I didn't post it.  I posted the obituary for Mary Villers nee LaCrosse's husband, Frank, almost a year ago, but never figured out where he belonged in my tree...and never figured out where Mary belongs.  Perhaps that was why I didn't post this one yet.  Trying to figure out where she belongs.

It didn't take terribly long to figure it out.  I guess walking away and coming back with a clear head really does work!  I looked for Frank and Mary Villers in the 1930 US Federal Census, and easily found them.  Not only did I find Frank and Mary, but Frank's parents, Louis and Emmerance Villers, were living there with them.

Cool another generation back.  Still not in my tree though...

So to find more on Louis and Emmerance.  Louis was born some time between 1851 and 1854 (depending which census/record you look in).  Emmerance is called Merance/Marans/Meretz in different records, but the gist of her name is clear.  I was able to track them back from the 1900 US census (Kewaunee county, Wisconsin) and then to the 1880 census (still Kewaunee county).  In the 1880 census Louis' parents were living with them...Eugene and Mary Villers.  Eugene born about 1811 (according to this census).  Now I do have a Eugene Villers in my tree...but I didn't have him with a child named Louis or with his wife's name.  Grrrr....

But someone else did.  Yes, I fell back to the evil family trees on Ancestry.com, but as long as you verify their conclusions, they aren't so scary...and then I saw that one of the family trees, belonged to none other than a Cayemberg cousin!  (Wendy, I look forward to sitting down with you at the family reunion!)


So independent research still needs to be done, but if verified, it appears that my Eugene and Mary Villers are indeed Louis' parents and therefore, Frank's grandparents.  Lots to still do, but no doubt the family reunion and my research trip to the Wisconsin Historical Society this summer will be very exciting indeed!

"Mrs. Frank Villers

ROSIERE - Mrs. Frank Villers, 70, Rosiere, died Sunday afternoon at her home.  The former Mary LaCrosse was born April 1, 1892, and married Frank Villers on May 20, 1913.  Her husband died on Sept. 1, 1954, and four brothers and one sister also preceded her in death.  She was a member of the Altar Society.

Survivors include one son, Louis, at home; one grandson, Marvin Villers; two great-grandchildren; one brother, Felix LaCrosse, Algoma; two sisters, Mrs. Emily Bero and Mrs. John Monfils, both of Rosiere.

Friends may call at Wiesner-Massart Funeral Home, Casco, after 6 tonight.  The Rosary will be recited at 8 tonight and Tuesday evening.  Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. Hubert Church, Rosiere, with the Rev. A.C. Kenny in charge.  Burial will be in the parish [cemetery]."

(Hand-dated - Mar. 24, 1963)

NOTE: This clipping was passed on to me by family in Green Bay, Wisconsin.  It was taken from a scrapbook filled with old newspaper clippings and had no publication information.  It may have come from the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

No comments:

Post a Comment