Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thankful Thursday - It's a Wonderful Life

I've been transcribing a number of obituaries over the past couple of days.  Endeavoring to find places for all these people in my family history, and where, applicable, my family tree.  I came across an obituary that broke my heart.

As I was typing, I found it rather odd to see that Edwin was survived by one daughter.  I suppose I take it for granted that someone, particularly at the age of 61, dying in the mid-twentieth century would have several children survive them because they usually had quite a few children.  It was when I continued typing that I realized this poor man (and his wife)  had one daughter and three sons precede him in death.

It makes me extremely thankful to live in the times we do.  Children are still taken from us, but not as frequently as they once were.  No matter how some people may complain, I've just got to say that it really is a wonderful life!

"Edwin Beck Funeral Rite Is Announced

Campbellsport Area Resident Is Dead At Age Of 61

Funeral services for Edwin Beck, 61, Campbellsport, will be at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at the Twohig Funeral home, Campbellsport, and 10 a.m. at St. Matthew's church, Campbellsport.  The Rev. Peter E. Schwamb will officiate.

Mr. Beck was found dead Wednesday in the barn of his farm one mile north of Campbellsport on County Trunk W.  He was born Aug. 10, 1900, in Town of Byron, the son of John and Barbara Kiefer Beck.  He married Magdalina Richart Oct. 27, 1925, at St. Killian.

The Becks lived in the Town of Ashford until 1948 when they moved to the Town of Auburn.

Surviving are his widow; one daughter, Mrs. Leo Hall, Campbellsport; five grandchildren; two brothers, Jacob, Campbellsport, and Alois, Town of Ashford; and two sisters, Mrs. Alex Lenk, Menomonee Falls, and Mrs. Lucille Koenig, Fond du Lac.  One daughter and three sons preceded him in death.

Mr. Beck was a member of the Holy Name society of st. Matthew's church.

Friends may call at the funeral home after 2 p.m. Friday until the hour of services.  Burial will be in the church cemetery."

No comments:

Post a Comment